Full Title: How to Connect and Communicate Legal and Technical Information to Landowners During the Acquisition Process
Instructors: Tom Howe, Carlos Zegarra
Let’s face it, what land trusts do is complicated and the consequences grave if we don’t effectively communicate to landowners what they need to know when they’re considering conveying land or a conservation easement to your organization. And, during this unprecedented time, we want to ensure landowners are comfortable and fully understand the process when engaging in a conservation transaction.
Join veteran land trust staffer Tom Howe, Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests, and expert conservation communicator Carlos Zegarra, Sachamama, as they discuss what land trusts need to know to be effective communicators.
While discussion will focus on communicating with landowners during the acquisition process, the tips and strategies presented are readily transferrable to stewardship and other relationships.
Here’s a look at what you’ll learn:
- The necessary pre-work for effective communications
- The dance between data and storytelling to achieve your objectives
- Sensible tweaks to your communication strategies in light of COVID
- Jargon – when it’s okay, how to explain it and when to avoid it
- Practical tipsfor effectively communicating in writing (web and hand-outs) and face-to-face
- Strategies for working with landowners who have a hard time “getting it”
Access to this recording will expire on December 31, 2021, and is subject to availability of the AdobeConnect service.